Thursday, July 23, 2009

Morphing Ink Project





The idea behind this project was based on 2 separate ideas/videos. Particles morphing into an animated object and ink dropping into water. The final animation will be of ink falling slowly down and building up at the bottom, and then having some of the ink morph into a fish swimming away.


Week 1:

To get the exact motion I'm looking for, I've decided to use Fluid Smoke Dynamics. Right now I am using a smoke object to emit the fluids. Originally, I tried to use particles or Rigid Body Objects (RBD) to emit and control the smoke. By having the emitted particles controlling the fluids, I wasn't able to get the motion of ink in water; however, this is still an option I'm looking into using. The RBD Object worked, but the smoke wasn't emitting the way I needed it to; plus the smoke was only emitting from the bottom (need it to emit from the top and build up at the bottom), and having 2 simulations was taking too long to sim out. Here are some examples I'm using for the FX:

http://tinyurl.com/m39nzq
http://tinyurl.com/llbzuw

The motion of the ink still needs some more work, but here is what I have so far. The video below is the progress I have with the motion of the fluid (shown through denisty and temperature). Please feel free to leave any comments or suggests.





The next step will be to bake the simulation out as a 3D volume, too see if the motion as a volume is where I want it. Once that is done then I will add an RBD object and advect the fluid into particles. Hoping to add another update in a few days or sometime this week, with a test render of the smoke and a test video to see how the smoke reacts to the RBD Object going through the it. Once again please feel free to leave comments.

---fughfx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment